Gaura Pant Shivani
Gaura Pant Shivani(1924-2003), was a renowned writer of Hindi Literature. She left behind a vast repertoire of writings that consists of novels, essays, and short stories.She was a pioneer in writing Indian women based fiction and several of her major works were serialized in the Hindi magazine Dharmayug. She had cult status in the 60's and 70's (the pre television days before the onset of soap operas), and her works were popular with Hindi speaking Indians across the country.
- Lal Haveli - her first novel
- Apradhini (a collection of interviews with women serving life imprisonment)
- Bhairavi, Kalindi, Rati Vilaap, Vishkanya and Shamshan Champa, main murga hoon - short stories
- Chaudah Phere
- Chareiveti. A narrative of travel in Russia and her encounters with literary figures.
- Atithi. 1996. A novel whose central character, Jaya, after a failed marriage meets Shekhar who proposes to her.
- Pootonvali. 1998. A collection of two novelettes and three short stories.
- Jharokha. 1999.
- Chal Khusaro Ghar Aapne. 1998. A novel.
- Vatayan. 1999.
- Ek Thi Ramrati. 1998.
- Mera Bhai/Patheya. 1997. A novella and her recollections of events and personages.
- Yatrik. 1999. Her experiences in England where she travelled for the marriage of her son.
- Jaalak. 1999. 48 short memoirs.
- Amader Shantiniketan. 1999. Reminiscences of Shantiniketan.
- Manik -- novellette and other stories (Joker and Tarpan).
- Shmashan Champa, 1997.
- Surangma. A powerful novel about a political figure and his personal life shadowed by sordid relationships.
- Mayapuri. A novel about relationships.
- Kainja. A novel and 7 short stories.
- Gainda. A novel and two long stories.
- Krishnaveni. A novelette and two short stories.
- Swayam Sidha. A novel and 6 short stories.
- Kariya Cheema. 7 short stories.
- Up Preti. 2 short novels, a story and 13 nonfictional articles.
- Chir Swayamvara. 10 short stories and 5 sketches.
- Vishkanya. A novelette and 5 short stories.
- Krishnakali and other stories. One of her most popular novels. The lovely Krishnakali has devastating good looks - loved and admired by hordes of men but loving no one herself.
- Kastoori Mrig. A short novel and several articles.
- Rathya. A novel.
- Chaudah Phere. A novel.
- Rati Vilap. 3 novelettes and 3 short stories.
- Shivani ki Sresth Kahaniyan. 13 outstanding short stories.
- Smriti Kalash and Sone De. 10 essays.(her two part memoir)
- Sunhu Taat Yeh Akath Kahani. Autobiographical narratives.
- Hey Dattatreya. Folk culture and literature of Kumaon.
- Manimala Ki Hansi. Short stories, essays, memoirs and sketches.
- Shivani ki Mashhoor Kahaniyan. 12 short stories.
Awards & Honors